The Stutsman County Recorder's Office is the land record office and maintains, for perpetuity, any and all types of documents that affect title to real property. The land records ensure a permanent record of property ownership and complete title information for each county in the state.
The recorded and filed information processed by the county recorder is used by county officials, land owners, business enterprises and the general public. All information recorded and filed is public record with the exception of filed wills. The real estate recorded is the basis for the auditor's assessment rolls and the tax collection process of the treasurer.
Some of the duties performed in the county recorder's office are as follows:
- Record all instrument/documents affecting title to real property. Maintain grantor/grantee indexes and land tract indexes. Maintain a retrievable back-up of all real estate recordings.
- Process and enter all UCC, UCC/CNS, Agricultural Liens, State and Federal Tax Liens into the statewide computer system and prepare UCC abstracts.
- The county recorder's office issues marriage licenses and performs marriage ceremonies upon request and appointment. The Recorder's Office has marriage licenses on file dating back to 1884 for those issued in Stutsman County. The staff is able to check the entire state of North Dakota to find where a marriage license was issued and where the marriage ceremony took place through the statewide computer system. Anyone needing a certified or plain copy may contact the Recorder's Office.
- Death records are no longer certified in the Recorder's Office. However, the recorder is able to search on the web for deaths occurring in North Dakota.
- Wills are filed in the Recorder's Office for a fee.
- The County Recorder's Office is the Passport agent for Stutsman County. Forms are available for new passport books and passport cards and for those wishing to renew their present passports. Our office also takes passport photos so you can get everything done in one stop.
Fees for the County Recorder's Office are statutory fees set by the North Dakota Legislature.
The office staff includes;
- Linda Chadduck - Recorder
- Jessica Moser - Deputy
- Cheryl McPherson - Deputy
The office is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and is located on the main floor of the Stutsman County Courthouse, at 511 2nd Ave SE, Jamestown. You can also contact the office by phone at (701) 252-9034, by fax at (701) 251-6310 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.